|Why Publishers' Portal?
Publishers Portal gets your writing in front of book buyers.
It ensures your book gets exposure so book buyers see how good your writing is and want to read more.
You just wrote your book. Now, how will you sell copies?
By letting people read part of the book… so they will want the whole thing!
Publishers Portal lets you do that, by
- creating an html excerpt of your book (from its first chapter)
- distributing that excerpt to
- online retailers that sell books
- book distributors who supply books to bookstores and libraries
- library catalogs
- giving you a copy of your excerpt file to distribute however you chose via links to websites, blogs, Facebook or Twitter.
- The HTML format means your chapter excerpt will be displayed easily and formatted properly on whatever device (phone, tablet, computer) is being used by your reader.
How do readers find books to buy?
They search for them on the bookshelf or online, by genre or author. They sample them by reading a little bit of the book while standing in the store or while looking online and then they buy.
Publishers Portal markets your book for you by letting book buyers read part of your book at the moment they are searching for what to buy or read next.
What is the DAB database?
The DAB database holds approximately 300,000 Chapter One excerpts, all supplied by the publisher/imprint/copyright holder with their full permission for use.
More than 600 established publisher/imprints, including giant companies like Random House, Harper Collins, Hachette, and Macmillan, send first chapter excerpts of their books, to Dial-A-Book (DAB) for distributing in its database.
Why does it help me sell books?
The DAB database is used by all the on-line sites that important book buyers rely on for information
- book wholesaler online catalogs
- library bibliographic information suppliers
- sites where excerpts can be seen and read as major book buyers look and decide what to buy and read next.
Who uses the DAB database?
- The largest online catalogs used by virtually every retail brick & mortar and e-book bookseller in the United States and United Kingdom to decide what books to stock in their stores and retail outlets:
- Baker & Taylor TitleSearch, Ingram ipage, Gardners (UK)
- Online catalogs used by over 200,000 librarians worldwide to help them find books for their customers.
OCLC Worldcat, OCLC FirstSearch, ContentCafe2, EBSCOhost
- ContentCafe2 makes book excerpts visible to retail booksellers, such as Sam's Club
- E-newsletters and social networking sites that highlight new books (and their excerpts) for both the heavy book buyer and the library marketplace.
Arcamax/Book Daily, NextReads, The ReadingRoom.
- The enhanced book site, Blio, which has been downloaded on to Dell, Toshiba, HP, and Intel products.
- Large online booksellers such as Barnes & Noble.com, dieselebooks.com and Cokesbury in the US and retail affiliates of Gardners in the United Kingdom.
Gardners, the largest book distributor in the UK, creates web sites for its retail bookselling customers in the UK and beyond which carry DAB Chapter One excerpts forward to the buying public.
What if my book is available only in e-format?
Publishers Portal still gets the excerpt of the book into places it would not otherwise be:
- Some lending libraries that offer e-books use DAB/Publishers Portal for their excerpts
- Arcamax Book Daily shows excerpts of either e-books or regular books to their subscribers – all heavy book buyers
- e-book retailers - such as Diesel e-books, eRead Digital - use DAB/Publishers Portal excerpts on their website
How does Publishers Portal help me with Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites?
Publishers Portal sends you a text copy (html/xml) of your first chapter excerpt so you can link it to your own web site, Facebook, Twitter posts and blogs where people can easily and quickly read it and decide to buy it.
Publishers Portal excerpts are formatted to display well on both computer screens and mobile phone/tablet screens.
How can I have my books included in Publishers Portal?
Publishers and/or authors must read and agree to the terms and conditions of the Publishers Portal participation agreement. Publishers and/or authors should upload files in digital (html/xml, PDF, word) format and pay on-line by credit card.
What books may be included in Publishers Portal?
Any book consisting of text (not pictures) possessing an ISBN.
How much does it cost?
$35 is the all-inclusive charge per book for the creation and distribution of the excerpts.
What do I need to supply to get going?
Publishers and/or authors need to upload a digital file containing 13-digit ISBN, title, sub-title, author(s), copyright holder, copyright year, table of contents (if present) and about ten pages of initial text (not preface or introduction) or the full book (along with ISBN and copyright information) from which we will extract the excerpt.
How do you figure out a first chapter?
Publishers Portal will extract the first 17k of your book and use that as your excerpt for display in book buyer databases. The extract begins with the title, author and copyright information and Table of Contents and proceeds from there. We do not include any Prologue or Introduction.
If my book is not in chapters, what do I do?
Publishers Portal will extract the first 17k of text as described above.
How long after I upload my digital file will I get my copy?
You should receive your copy within three days.
How long after I upload my digital file will the excerpts appear on trading partner web sites?
The time will vary for different sites, depending on their work loads and schedules. Some may appear in a matter of days; others may not appear for several weeks.
This sounds great! How do I get started?
I still have questions. How do I contact you?
Email us anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org
Publishers Portal is a great way to make your print and e-book excerpt visible in as many places as possible - leading to browsing and sales.
Publishers Portal, LLC, is an affiliate of Dial-A-Book, Inc. For over 13 years, Dial-A-Book has worked with publishing houses and individual authors to help sell more books by distributing excerpts of books so that prospective customers can browse them and get a taste for the book before they purchase/read it. Excerpts are proven to help sell books.
The DAB database holds approximately 300,000 Chapter One excerpts, all supplied by the publisher/imprint/copyright holder with their full permission for use. Continuously updated, the DAB database contains copyrighted material from more than 1,200 imprints/publishers, including giant companies like Random House, Harper Collins, Hachette, and Macmillan, all of whom send first chapter excerpts of their books, to Dial-A-Book (DAB) for distributing in its database.
All excerpts are fully searchable and accessible by both mobile and Internet web sites.